Substance and related disorders form one of the most significant behavior related problems the world over. India has also witnessed an exponential growth in alcoholism, drug addiction and Correlated disorders.
Substance dependency is a Chronic, Progressive and Terminal disease which causes severe Physical, Psychological and Spiritual damage. This disease not only affects the individual, but also causes severe family, sociological, financial, legal and occupational problems.
Alcoholism affects all the vital physiological, psychological and emotional functions of the diseased individual. Alcoholism is recognized as a disease by the WHO and APA, can affect an individual irrespective of age, caste, creed, education, status or financial background.
- Increased Tolerance
- Loss of Control ? Quantity, Time, Quality, Situation and Behaviour
- Black Outs
- Pre Occupation with Drinking
- Avoiding Discussion about Drinking ? Irritation and Anger
- Denial, Justifying, Rationalizing and Blaming people or situations for drinking
- Grandiose Behavior
- Trying to control Quantity of drinking or Temporary abstinence
- Changing Drinking Pattern
- Binge Drinking
- Decreased Tolerance
- Ethical or Spiritual Breakdown
- Paranoia, Delusions
- Deterioration in living whether drinking or not drinking
And hence Alcoholism is termed as Alcohol Dependant Syndrome.
- Craving - An overwhelming desire or obsession to drink or use
- Loss of Control over Quantity, Quality, Time and Behavior
- Physical Dependence – Uncontrollable increase in the quantity and on stopping of drinking or using, going through physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms
- Increased Tolerance - Needing greater amounts of alcohol to sustain the High as a result of dependence on the Chemical.